Washington County Jail

An account listing facts of the arrest, jailing, and initial Court experiences
Reed K. Christensen

Typed on 3-5 May 2021

(Sunday - 25 April 2021)

  - County patrol vehicles used lights to pull over the car on our way to church.
    I made the deduction out loud that my wife must have been going over the
    speed limit.  (She was driving due to my recent stroke.)

  - A male officer informed me at the passenger window that he had a warrant
    for the arrest of Reed Christensen.

  - My wife was startled, I informed her that it must be because I am a Trump

  - I stepped out of the car and asked the officer if I could go home and get
    my Trump hat before he threw me on the ground.  I don't believe he
    responded to that, and he continued to escort me toward a patrol vehicle.

  - Arresting officer asked me to confirm my name, date of birth, and the last
    four digits of my Social Security which I did.  (I had no ID or wallet on
    me because I have not driven since my stroke.)  After confirming my
    identity I told the deputy that I would no longer speak to anyone other
    than my attorney.

  - I was worried about my wife and managed to see her standing with the driver
    door open.  She was surrounded by officers, one deputy and 2 or 3 officers
    in plain clothing and I saw at least one jacket with "FBI" on the back.  I could
    see my wife was speaking and being very emphatic.

  - I was cuffed with my hands behind me. There was no rough handling of any
    kind.  An attempt was made to fit me in the backseat of a sedan squad car.
    I don't think my rear end even fit between the front-seat, back-seat space
    exposed when the door was open.  Next was an SUV.  After pushing and
    wriggling, I could squeeze in side ways with my knees against the door.

1:30 - 2:30 pm
  - We are just a few minutes from the County jail and Sheriff's complex.
    After arriving, I sat in the original cuffs, hands behind, in the prisoner
    processing room on a steel bench.  A female deputy asked in-processing
    type questions.  I was silent and did not respond even with head nods.

2:30 pm
  - A group of deputies patted me down and continued to ask questions.  I did
    not respond.  The lead pat-down deputy said I would be assumed to be
    suicidal if I did not answer his suicidal feeling question.  If that happened, I
    would be stripped of all clothing and put in a holding cell - did I want that to

                              Sunday suit attire

Back to Main

  Federal Building in Portland

  - Also at this pat down, an attempt was made to remove my wedding ring.  I
    held my hand out and a deputy tugged and pulled, but was not able to
    remove it.

  - I was taken to a holding cell and told to remove all clothing.  I proceeded
    to do so and handed over each article of clothing.  After I was naked in
    front of the deputies, a cavity search was done by giving me verbal
    directions, which I complied with.  At least 3 officers were present.

  - I was handed a "smock" to wear.  It was of thick cotton material.  It had
    no holes for arms.  Instead it had flaps at the shoulder area with velcro
    strips.  Being unfamiliar with a smock, I turned it over and fumbled with
    it trying to figure out how it worked.  A deputy took it and connected
    the shoulder flaps and held it like a coat to put on.  I put it on, and the
    flaps immediately undid and the smock fell to the ground.  The deputies
    then left the holding cell.

  - I took the smock and wrapped it around my middle length-wise to fit around
    me like a lava-lava.  In this way I was able to sit on the concrete bench
    of the holding cell without too much cold discomfort.  The air temperature
    of the cell itself was not too bad. The cell was small, perhaps 4 feet x 8
    feet, with a prison toilet of stainless steel behind a waist high cinder
    block wall at the back of the cell.

  - I sat on the bench.  I was left alone for quite a while.  It seemed like
    an officer came to peer through the door window every 30 minutes or so,
    pausing to write on something that was posted next to the door.

4:00 pm (the following times are approximate, I was able to glance at a clock
         one time after this, and a couple of times I asked.)

  - A male deputy arrived and asked me to fill out a form.  I did not respond,
    verbally or physically.  He stood in the open doorway and began a stream of
    questions (sample):
     o Mr Reed, what is your middle initial?
     o Mr Reed, what is your address?
     o Don't you want to talk to me?
     o etc, etc

5:00 pm
  - A female, who appeared by her clothing to be a nurse, holding a
    prescription bill bottle, poked her head in between the open door and the
    questioning deputy.  She said they had just received some meds for me,
    and asked what they were for.  I replied that I had recently had a stroke.
    (I always conversed with nurses while in the jail.)

  - With the door still open, and a cooler draft coming in from the large
    foyer, the officer continued his questioning (sample):
     o do you still live at 3020?
     o what does the "K" stand for in your middle name
     o I see your feet are bare on the concrete floor, I could get you some
        flip-flops if ... (I don't remember the specific conditions.  I was
        trying to tune him out, and sometime in the second hour of his
        questions, I was starting to tremble slightly from the cooler air.)
     o If you do the form, you could leave this cell
     o If you do the form, you could be set free
     o etc, etc

  - I did not respond to the approximately 2 hours of questioning in any way.

  - A deputy came by with a jug and asked if I wanted juice.  I nodded and
    received a dixie cup of clear liquid that tasted sweet.  I asked the
    juice dispensing deputy if I could keep the cup for water and he said

  - The questioning deputy left.  I used the paper cup to get multiple drinks
    of water from the prison sink located on the pedestal back of the toilet.

6:00 pm
  - I was led to the inmate in-processing room, where I was posed for a mug
    shot.  I was standing naked with the lava-lava around my waist, being held
    by one hand.  The processing deputy commented it would not be good to have
    me bare-chested and he draped a shirt around my neck for the photo.  I then
    had my prints taken at the desk.

                                                     Washington County
                                                     Jail Photo

  - I was led to the Nurse station off the main foyer of the jail.  (I was not
     chained while in the holding cell, and I was not further chained until it
     was time to leave the jail the next day for transfer.)  I walked naked and
     barefoot with my smock lava-lava across the foyer to the Nurse.  I sat near
     the door of the office, with a deputy standing in the doorway.

  - The nurse asked me to sign a medical release by using my finger to scratch
    my signature on a plastic pad which had a wire, that sat on the desk in front of
    me.  I said I was a political prisoner, and I would not sign something when
    no document was shown me and I did not know where my signature was going.
    I asked if I could see the form.  She pulled a piece of paper from her desk.
    I read the form, and asked for a pen, and then signed the paper.

  - We had a discussion about meds, and she typed into the computer as we
    talked.  I told her the doctor was trying to keep my blood pressure below

  - The nurse took my blood pressure on my left arm.  It was 210/101.

  - She jumped out of her chair and exclaimed that can't be right.  She
    decided to try a larger sized cuff on my right arm.  It was 183/90.

  - She was satisfied with that and recorded it.

  - (I knew these readings were bad.  When I was in the hospital three weeks
    for my stroke, I had a hospital roommate with lots of complications due
    to Multiple Sclerosis, and he once had a blood pressure reading of
    190/over something, and 2 doctors and 3 nurses rushed in and started
    scurrying around.)

  - I asked for help.  Those were not good readings, and I had been told that
    my next stop was to spend the night naked in a solitary observation cell.
    I had been told that this was due to me being unresponsive to a suicide
    attitude question.

  - I told her that I am emphatically *not* suicidal.  I also told her that I
    would not answer any further psychriatic evaluation questions because I
    was a political prisoner.  (I was told that part of the med station would
    be a series of psych questions.) She said something to the effect that the
    deputies knew what they were doing, and after a few more words of back
    and forth, I said never mind.

  - After the med station, I suppose in preparation for the observation block,
    I was asked if my wedding ring would come off.  I simply held out my hand,
    assuming it would be stuck as last time.  This time the deputy was able
    to pull if off, and he gave it to another deputy who carried it off,
    holding it aloft as he did so - I presumed so that others would note his

  - Also at this time I was given a pair of somewhat tattered orange canvas
    top slip ons to put on my feet.

  - I was then immediately directed to walk 10 feet across the room to a
    scanning device and told to take my shoes off (sigh).  I was put through
    a scanner while standing on a moveable platform, and put my shoes back on.

6:10 pm
  - I walked with my lava-lava to the observation cell block with a deputy
    acting as a guide.  The female deputy at the reception area of the block
    told my guide that I would be in cell #21, but that it had not been made
    ready.  She also said that she had no more blankets, but that it would be
    really helpful if he could bring a blanket from supply to help her out.

  - I was asked to take off my shoes.  I must have wobbled a bit as I tried to
    reach down and take them off as they fit my heels snuggly, and a chair
    was brought for me to sit down.  I was told to wait, and I sat for a few
    more minutes in the chair.

  - As we approached the doorway of my assigned cell #21, another smock
    was pointed at, and I was told it might work better.  I didn't stop, but
    scooped it up as I entered the cell, thinking that it would be great to
    have a second one, since I could not get just one to adequately cover me
    to retain heat.

  - The cell was quite large, with a prison toilet behind a waist high cinder
    wall in the middle, and a room that looked 10x10 on each side.

  - A small metal sink with a tiny drinking faucet was on the wall in the left
    room, there was nothing else. The sink had bits of debris around the sink
    handles and in the sink bowl.  I couldn't tell if the debris was food or
    vomit residue. (After this, in the back of my mind, when I bent down to
    the bowl to sip the faucet, it was always the later.)

  - The room with the sink was littered with small debris, that appeared to be
    orange cracker crumbs.

  - The right side room had no furniture, bed, blanket, or pillow.  It had
    what looked to be a 6 foot long blue plastic doggie bed with a blue mat
    in the bottom.  The pad looked 3" thick on the ends, but it was
    considerably thinner in the middle.  The pad too was covered with orange

  - I brushed off the mat the best I could and plopped down on it, using one
    smock to cover my legs, and the other to cover my shoulders.

  - I don't recall if anyone came around with dinner.

8:00 pm
  - Two nurses came around with meds.  I asked the time and was told it was
    8. My regular routine was to take two tablets, 10mg of Baclofen at night
    to control diaphram spasms.  I explained that and asked if I could get
    some.  They said they would have to check with the "provider".  I asked if
    I could keep the small flimsy tappered paper cup that I used for pill
    taking in order to get water from the sink water faucet.  (It was the same
    design as in the holding cell, and I found it very difficult to sip enough
    water from the water dribbling from the tiny faucet.)  They said it was
    not allowed, so I gave the cup back.

  - The remainder of the night passed without outside interruption.  I had to
    get up frequently to urinate, it seemed like every hour.  I figured my body
    was running faster to generate heat.  Every time I got up I would sip
    water from the little faucet, but I could tell I was not getting the same
    amount as when I gulped full glasses of water at home.

  - I was unable to sleep the entire night.  I shifted position from left,
    right, to back constantly to relieve pressure.  I had developed a
    headache, and my right arm affected from the stroke was throbbing.

  - For moral support I mouthed some memorized hymns from church, my
    throat was too dry to actually sing, and I did a lot of praying - being especially
    worried due to my high blood pressure and my recent stroke.  I also spent
    a lot of time thinking about the political situation in America and what
    could be done to respond to it.

  - Toward morning, I heard a loud voice bark a question. The words of the
    question did not register and I wasn't sure it was directed at me.  The
    question came loudly again, this time I understood.  "Do you want breakfast,
    yes or no?"  I was laying with my face away from the door, so I twisted
    around to see who was asking.  I could see the black uniform of a deputy,
    so I turned back away and laid down.  The metal slot in the door loudly
    slammed shut.

8:00 am
  - A two person nurse team came around with meds.  Again the meds were
    incomplete with no Baclofen.  (Fortunately, I had only a few number of
    spasms during the night, but they were not continuous as after my stoke.)
    I explained that my evening meds too were wrong and if I could get the
    correct meds.  Again the  response was "it is up to the provider".  At
    this point I was totally exhasperated and caustically replied, "If you
    were real nurses, you would call someone and report elderly abuse."

  - I went back to the mat and laid down.  Sometime after 9am, a bright neon
    yellow jumpsuit was placed on the door slot tray and I was told to put it
    on.  I slipped on the suit, and almost immediately a deputy came and
    opened the door and had me come out.

  - As we approached the reception desk, toward the exit door of the cell
    block, a female deputy held what looked like a toiletry kit, and asked
    if I was going to take it.  I replied that I had not been offered one.
    (I probably spoke back because this really ticked me off.  My eyes had
    been stinging most of the night because if I don't wash my head and face
    before bed, my baldness causes too much accumulation of skin oil.) The
    deputy responded that I didn't get the kit because I did not follow

  - My orange canvas shoes were returned.

  - I was escorted to the main foyer of the jail where the exchange with the
    FBI was to take place.  I sat in a chair for a short time while a paper
    bag of my belongings was prepared.  I could see a clock on the wall and
    the time was 9:20 am.

  - A deputy then came to outfit me with a torso chain which had two cuffs
    attached to keep ones hands and arms retracted up against the body.  The
    chain was placed extremely tightly and high against my rib cage.  This was
    very uncomfortable, but I kept quiet as I stood there.

  - A male agent and a female agent, both dressed in civilian clothes,
    escorted me outside to a black SUV.  The passenger side rear door was
    opened and I began to enter to sit down in the back seat.  As I did this,
    the torso chain squeezed into my bread basket and I started to gasp and
    struggle for breath.  A sharp pain shot thorough my lower right abdomen.
    Seeing this, the two agents pulled me back out of the SUV and immediately
    loosened the restraint chain.  We then drove out of the County facility
    and headed for Portland.

    (... see next document for Federal account ...)